Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alien: Isolation (PS4)
10-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Alien: Isolation (PS4)
On Saturday I was rudely awoken by the dustman...

No, wait a minute.

On Saturday I was rudely interrupted by the Postman, with a heavy clatter on the mat in the hallway. As I removed my apron and switched the vacuum off (Wife returning after 3 weeks away), I began chuckling to myself at the thought of getting Alien: Isolation days and days before Sporran. I ripped open the hassle-free cardboard packaging and there it was at 11am.

You are my lucky star...

After the near 1GB Update, the failure of the 'Nostromo' Code and a few games of Destiny with Nicos, I booted up and sat cross-legged in anticipation.

I was immediately faced with my first disappointment. The screen-tearing of the cut scenes is abhorrent. It is so bad, I actually laughed. The characters look about as lifelike as this plucky fucker: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pin+mo...80&bih=884 (something wrong with my browser not allowing HTML!)

But, all of that is removed when you get to waking up and walking about - it is creepy. It starts off creepy and you're not even on a ship with an alien on it!

This creepy feeling very quickly increases to an unnerving that is so acute, that you find yourself looking out the window for respite.

The story is built slowly. Painfully slowly - I can see why they do this, but even so, you play the first few hours with no ability to perish at all, just slow plodding, introducing the game mechanics.

There's already a lot of "Need ABC Key to open this locked door" or "Need XYC Jack to bypass this lock" which brings in sort of Metroid or even Shadow Complex type deniers of progress.

The auto-mapping is very good though and despite the obvious drawbacks (for a PS4 game - the cut scenes are beyond atrocious, seriously - The Last of Us Remastered, even Destiny has better cut scenes!) it remains fun to play, if you are as mired within the lore as I am - I instantly suspended disbelief and went with it.

With the first 2 hours, with no alien in sight, I had scared the shit out of myself twice.

This was great fun. More to follow when I play more tonight!

[Image: LogrusUK.png]

Captain Slash Boot Bumper
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Alien: Isolation (PS4)
Yes not fair you get it before me Tongue mine arrived today Big Grin

will give it a go later though i really have to be honest am not looking forward to it at all Sad

Didnt read anything re the tearing, one of my pet hates. But i have seen a few walk through's and looks very very authentic Smile

[Image: artois.png]
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
10-06-2014, 11:36 AM
In game it is great - really good, in fact. It's the cut scenes - you'll see - watch the first one and post!

10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes the cut scenes are odd, like it skipping frames and im getting lip sync. But the actual game is butter smooth.

Oh i can see this game taking some time. I just started got to the ship, that pan pipe music started. Ok, I can feel the heart rate pulsing. Then you get that ooooooooooooooo windy music ok i take that, the lights flickered in the game and the corridor goes black and that thund thund sound happens. Fuck this shit.

I turned it off Sad lol im a shit house.

[Image: artois.png]
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
10-07-2014, 08:29 AM
I am getting mine today and will be smashing it tonight!

Inspection and testing studying is going out of the window Sad

[Image: RossJay_UK.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Apparently, she saw some kind of alien once.

Whoopee-fuckin'-do...

Apparently, there is a patch for release day, which is..?

TODAY!