Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Commodore 64
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
RE: Commodore 64
Tut-tut - here we go..!

Too true - there were two versions, US = Activision (86) and EU = Electric Dreams (86).

The Activision version (where you flew through the pipe five by five at the beginning) followed the film narrative-wise, but the only good thing about it were the cut scenes (depicting the film). The game was a pretty pap affair, especially the 'take the correct tunnel game', which is a poor, poor Pac-Man rip. It was basically Hypersports but each event as an Aliens section. In essence, with it's lovely film still renditions - it was more a PD Demo than a game.

However, that said, the third mini-game after the drop ship and the (mega laborious!) getting all 4 Marines to the APC, is quite inventive - it involves you having a Marine on a back wall, at the time of the film where the aliens are "inside the room" and hordes of aliens rush from left to right, your Marine is on a kind of 'Arkanoid' Axis, so you only have to move him up or down and when an advancing alien come into range, your gun wipes them out, looking not too unlike a flamethrower...

Check it out. If you let aliens in behind, you're buddies (lives) in the corridor which is displayed below the game screen, get aliened. Takes part at the "Burke, you asshole open this door," stage of the film... You even get to see the completion 'timer' timing out - Vasquez cutting a hole in the door... The last two levels are poor again, another walking the map and then the finalé, which is laughable. It's not that the game couldn't be good - they just made a) the first level REALLY difficult and b) the rest of the game REALLY easy. Good cut scenes though:

pic to follow - Spoz, I have this saved locally - how can I get it on here?

Now then, the other, where you'd play six characters from the film, changing between their perspectives using different keys, was a MASTERPIECE!

pic to enter - again, Spoz...

The reason this game was far superior to the Activision (US) version was that it was truly chilling. You had to use you head to get to the various Key Rooms in the complex and it was a Mappers Dream!

Completely enthralling and engrossing and you could set your guys to follow your path by entering in codes. As time progresses, routes become blocked by alien gunk, eggs start appearing and face huggers and aliens come out of the fucking walls.

This version of Aliens is the proper job. None of the typical Americana hack off the film with shoddy mini-games, badly designed, programmed and though out.

Boot up the Electric Dreams version of Aliens and prepare to feel terror like Nacht der Untoten!

[Image: LogrusUK.png]

Captain Slash Boot Bumper
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
imagebucket Smile

[Image: artois.png]
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
i was on about the 2nd one logrus Big Grin

you would see you people's ammo going down and then suddenly its an alien in one of there windows with fuck all you can do about it lol.

classic game Big Grin
12-12-2008, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 05:26 PM by Sir SpankalotUK.)
I see you've registered the domain log, wheres the site, interested to read about the computer I didnt have (was a spectrum boy, rubber keys FTW).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2008, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 05:37 PM by Logrus.)
You can find the Ammo Room, it is either Operations, or something else.

It is good for two reason a) every time you re-enter it, your ammo is filled to MAX and b) it is ALWAYS free from aliens.

Big Grin

There are other such rooms - a medical bay for one, that replenishes health.

I love the game, here's the speccy *spits* review..:

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/aliens.htm

I will dig out the C64 one from Zzap!

Can't find it, but I have all the issues on CD at home scanned ( Big Grin ) so I will lookee.

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A/...p%3Fid%3D6

[Image: LogrusUK.png]

Captain Slash Boot Bumper
12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
funny how the fanboy division moves from generation to generation

c64 vs speccy
snes vs megadrive
ps2 vs xbox
ps3 vs x360

and I won everytime Wink
12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
u forgot an important one

St v Amiga

Oh i loved the playground fights i would creame their arses and what would the ST guys always reply with.

"ah well ive got a midi port, so there" Tongue

ROFLMFAO

[Image: artois.png]
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
12-12-2008, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 05:56 PM by nicster.)
i won every round

c64 vs speccy
amiga vs st
ps1 vs dreamcast
ps2 vs xbox
x360 vs ps3
12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
man i had a dreamcast, its where my gametag originated on quake 3 and phantasy star online.. bloody sega cut there own throat on that machine and let sony blitz the market with ps2's. anyone remember MSR on the DC?
12-14-2008, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2008 10:45 AM by Logrus.)
(12-12-2008 05:38 PM)Sir SpankalotUK Wrote:  funny how the fanboy division moves from generation to generation

c64 vs speccy
snes vs megadrive
ps2 vs xbox
ps3 vs x360

and I won everytime Wink

Hope you were in the left hand side grouping!

Wink

Me too! Apart from, of course, the 360 is eons better than the PS3... So I win again.

Big Grin

- edit - Actually - just saw Nick's post and he is DAMN RIGHT. Actually:

Atari 2600 vs Binatone
C64 vs Speccy and Amstrad
Amiga 1200 vs Atari STe
NES vs Sega Master System
SNES vs Sega Mega Drive
N64 only for GoldenEye
PS1 vs anything
PS2 vs anything
XBox360 vs PS3

That's yer lot.